Chaplin Hall(formerly Carnegie Hall and the Chaplin Library)
Norwich University, Northfield, Vermont
library is on the left
Designed by Kerby, Petit & Green of New York, with revisions by F.A. Walker of Montpelier, Vermont
Georgian Revival Style
Chaplin Hall, Norwich University, Northfield VT 05663
A Brief History of the Building
1905: Andrew Carnegie gave $25,000 to the university to build the library.
1908: The building was dedicated as Carnegie Hall. The upper floors housed the library, and the lower floors housed the electrical engineering department.
1941: The electrical engineering department moved to its own building, and library services took over the entire building.
1952-53: The library underwent renovation, with funds donated by Henry Prescott Chaplin (1885-1962), a local businessman and a trustee of the university. It was reopened as the Henry Prescott Chaplin Library.
1961-1962: The library was enlarged to twice its original size, with a rear addition.
1991: Kreitzberg Library was constructed as the main library of the university. The Chaplin library building became vacant.
1993: The University combined its military and civilian students onto one campus. A student competition was held to design a renovation project that would turn the former library into a facility for the School of Architecture and Art. The winning team worked with the architects on the $2 million renovation. The School moved into its new home in the Fall.
This building now houses the School of Architecture and Art.
Additional historical views
|Color postcard and additional historical views supplied by the Norwich University Archives and Special Collections.|