Hamilton Smith Hall
(formerly Hamilton Smith Library)
University of New Hampshire
Durham, New Hampshire
Classical Revival Style
Hamilton Smith Hall, University of New Hampshire, Durham NH 03824
University web site: http://www.unh.edu
A Brief History of the Building
1905: Andrew Carnegie gave $20,000 to the college to build the library.
1907: The library opened on June 3rd. It was named for Hamilton Smith (1840-1900), a mining engineer who graduated from Durham Academy in 1854.
1958: Dimond Library was built and assumed the role of the main library for the university.
The building has undergone at least two noticeable addition projects over the years.
Hamilton Smith Hall now houses academic offices within the College of Liberal Arts.