Littleton Public Library
Littleton, New Hampshire
Designed by Robert Coit of Boston
Classical Revival Style
92 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561
Library web site: https://littletonpubliclibrary.org/
A Brief History of the Building
1902: Andrew Carnegie gave $15,000 to the town to build the library.
1906: The library was opened to the public.
1940-1964: The New Hampshire State Library Bookmobile Office operated from the library basement.
1959-1960: Interior renovations took place.
1996: The building was made handicapped accessible.
1998: The American Library Association voted this facility as the #1 Small Library in the United States.
2002: The "Glad and Cheerful" Pollyanna bronze sculpture was unveiled on the library's front lawn on June 15th. Pollyanna author Eleanor H. Porter (1868-1920) was from Littleton. The sculptor was Emile Birch.
Littleton Public Library has an extensive collection of artwork from the White Mountain School of Painting. It also holds the second largest collection of Kilburn stereopticon cards.
Information was provided by the Littleton Public Library.