Mark & Emily Turner Memorial Library
Presque Isle, Maine
Designed by Astle and Page of Houlton, Maine
Romanesque Revival Style
39 Second Street, Presque Isle, Maine 04769
Library web site: http://www.presqueislelibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1906: Andrew Carnegie gave $10,000 to the town to build the library.
1907-1908: The library was built. It opened on July 1, 1908.
1966-1967: An addition was integrated into part of the original building. It was dedicated on April 30, 1967. At that time, the facility was renamed the Mark & Emily Turner Memorial Library. Mark Turner (1893-1972) and Emily Turner (1896-1987) were generous contributors to a variety of local charities in the Presque Isle area. They donated $60,000 to help finance the 1960s addition to the library.