Francis Perkins Branch, Worcester Public Library
(formerly called the Greendale Branch)
Designed by Lucius Briggs of Worcester
Classical Revival Style (with a bit of Spanish Mission Style)
470 West Boylston Street, Worcester MA 01606
Library web site: https://www.mywpl.org/
A Brief History of the Building
1910: Andrew Carnegie gave $75,000 to Worcester to build three branch libraries.
1913: Andrew and Louise Carnegie were on hand to witness the laying of the cornerstones for all three libraries on March 26. The Greendale Branch location was visited last that day. Click here to read more about that occasion.
1914: The library opened in February.
1996: The original structure was enlarged.
This branch is now named after Frances Perkins (1880-1965). Frances grew up in Worcester, attended Worcester Classical High School, and went on to study at Mount Holyoke College. She eventually served as Franklin D. Roosevelt's Secretary of Labor and was the first female presidential cabinet member in U.S. history.
Historical photo was taken from volume 2 of Charles Nutt's History of Worcester and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1919).