Stoneham Public Library
Designed by Loring and Phipps
Italian Renaissance Revival Style
431 Main Street, Stoneham MA 02180-2696
Library web site: http://www.stonehamlibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1903: Andrew Carnegie gave $15,000 to the town to build the library.
1931: With money donated by the Annie Hamilton Brown estate, an addition was built to house a children's library, a Trustees' room and a meeting room.
1956: The interior was renovated, thanks to Brown funds.
1970s: A proposal to build a new library at the corner of Main Street and Flint Avenue failed to gain town support.
1981: The town approved the purchase of adjacent properties for library expansion.
1984: The enlarged library building opened in May.
This library has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984.