Greek Cultural Center at St. George Cathedral
(formerly Springfield's Memorial Square branch library)
Italian Renaissance Revival Style
22 St. George Road, Springfield MA 01104
Web site: http://www.stgeorgecath.org
A Brief History of the Building
1905: Andrew Carnegie gave $260,000 to Springfield to build a central library and three branches.
1978: After being closed down by the city in the early 1970s, the building was offered to the St. George Cathedral community for $1.00. Tens of thousands of dollars have been since spent to update it. Additions were added to the back and side to create the present Greek Cultural Center.
This building is now a community and cultural center.
|Information and the first contemporary photo were provided by Fr. Chris Stamas.|