Somerville Public Library
Designed by Edward Lippincott Tilton
Italian Renaissance Revival Style
79 Highland Avenue, Somerville MA 02143-1797
Library web site: http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1907: Andrew Carnegie gave $123,000 to Somerville to build a central library and two branch libraries.
1911: The old library, built next to City Hall in the 1880s, was turned over to City Hall offices.
1913: The new library was dedicated on December 17. It opened in January 1914.
1975-1976: A $1.7 million renovation took place.
2007: The library was awarded a $40,000 Planning and Design Grant from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
This library has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1989.
Information and original depiction were supplied by the Somerville Public Library.