(formerly the Carnegie Public Library)
McLean and Wright of Boston
Carnegie Classical Revival Style
18 Jewett Street, Rockport MA 01966-1699
A Brief History of the Building
1903: The town voted on November 11 to accept Andrew Carnegie's $10,000 gift to build the library.
1904: The cornerstone for the Carnegie Public Library was laid on December 3. During construction, a local donor provided funds to install an Italian marble floor under the dome of the main floor.
1906: The new library building opened on February 3. Its total cost was less than $10,000.
1963: An adult reading room was added to the west side. It opened in January 1964. A children's room was created in the basement at some point during this building's history.
1993: Library services moved to 17 School Street and took on the name of the Rockport Public Library. The town used the former library for storage.
2007: The building was sold to private buyers for about $500,000. They initiated work that fully restored the structure and renovated it into a single-family home, adding two and a half bathrooms and a garage.
2009: The home was listed for sale with By the Sea Sotheby's International Realty at a price of $2,950,000. In 2010, it was taken off the market. It remains unsold.
Some information was supplied by Michael Racicot and John P. Campbell.