New Marlborough Town Library
New Marlborough, Massachusetts
(no longer standing)
Designed by William E. Kair, a local resident, whose parents donated the site
Colonial Revival Style
1 Mill River, Great Barrington Rd., Mill River MA 01244
Current library web site: https://www.newmarlboroughma.gov/town-library
A Brief History of the Building
1917: Andrew Carnegie gave $5,000 to the town to build the library. An old store had burned down several years before on that site.
1920: The library was completed in December. The front elevation was adapted from the original quarters of the National Mahaiwe Bank in Great Barrington (built in 1847, demolished in 1904), and incorporated the distinctive columns supporting the overhanging roof.
1996: The library was completely destroyed by fire on June 16. On June 24, a rebuilding committee was formed.
1998: The new library was accepted by the trustees in December.
Information and original depiction were provided by the New Marlborough Town Library.
|Photo of current library|