Melrose Public Library
Designed by Penn Varney of Lynn
Classical Revival Style
69 West Emerson Street, Melrose MA 02176-3171
Library web site: http://www.melrosepubliclibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1901: Andrew Carnegie gave $25,000 to the town to build the library. The building was constructed on the site of the old high school, which had been destroyed by fire in 1897.
1904: The new library was dedicated on April 20th.
1963: An addition was constructed.
1990: Interior and exterior renovations were made possible with a Massachusetts Library Construction Grant.
This building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.