Designed by W.H. & Henry McLean of Boston
Classical Revival Style
568 Main Street, Athol MA 01331
Library web site: http://www.athollibrary.org
A Brief History of the Building
1900s: New Haven resident and Athol native Wilson H. Lee opened negotiations with Andrew Carnegie to fund a new library building in Athol. Carnegie offered the town $15,000, but it was turned down.
1914: Local businessman Laroy S. Starrett leased a plot of land for a new library to be built upon.
1916: Wilson H. Lee tried again. Andrew Carnegie offered $22,000 to the town to build the library, and it was accepted..
1918: The new library was turned over to the town on August 16.
1953: The ground floor children's room was created from space occupied by the local Red Cross chapter since the library opened.
1965: A two-story addition was built onto the back of the library.
1969: Air-conditioning was added.
1978: The ground-level storage room was renovated and turned into a multi-purpose activity room.
1980s: The building became handicapped accessible with the addition of ramps, a handicapped rest room, and an elevator.
Search | Sources | Links | Home