(former East Side Branch Library)
Classical Revival Style
Kossuth and Jane Streets, Bridgeport CT
A Brief History of the Building
1914: Andrew Carnegie gave $50,000 to Bridgeport to build two branch libraries.
1918: The East Side Branch Library was open on July 26th, equipped with 5,000 books.
1929: An addition was completed in order to double the size of the facility. A children's room was added with an entrance on the Kossuth Street side. At that time, it was the most used library branch in Bridgeport. Six public schools and five parochial schools used it as their home library.
1980s: Difficulties with vandalism, a changing neighborhood, and a need for an updated building all resulted in the closing of this branch. New branches, the Old Mill Green and the Newfield, are located on either end of the neighborhood.
This building has been used most recently as a church. It may be vacant.
Information and newspaper photo were supplied by Elizabeth Van Tuyl, BPL Historical Collections.